Deck the halls! The Christmas season is upon us! Homes, stores and offices are decking their halls with boughs of holly, ornaments, lights and poinsettias. During this joyous season, property maintenance often takes a back seat to property décor. Here are 10 quick and easy, holiday and winter tips from your property management expert!
• For condo residents, before putting up your Christmas decorations, check with your property manager and/or condominium board first for rules about outdoor decorations
• Consider replacing older Christmas lights with newer LED lights that are safer and more energy efficient
• If you are travelling, update your homeowners’ insurance in advance. Don’t forget to specifically schedule electronics, art and jewellry whose value exceeds the limit noted in your policy.
• Receiving something extra special under your Christmas tree this year? Remember to include any new, valuable items on your insurance policy as soon as you can.
• Write down after-hours contact details for your property manager or landlord and note alternative contact details if they are traveling
• Reverse the rotation of your ceiling fans in the winter to move heated air trapped at the ceiling
• HVAC maintenance is not just for summer. Keep your units maintained year round to enjoy energy efficient heating
• When using an artificial tree, wreath or garland, be sure that the product is labeled, certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire-retardant.
• Make sure the tree and other holiday decorations are set at least three feet away from any heat source like fireplaces, heaters, candles and heat vents. A watered tree is less of a fire hazard so keep your tree hydrated!
• Decorating your office space? Do not hang decorations from fire sprinklers.
Masterkey Management Ltd. wishes you and yours a blessed Christmas and a prosperous New Year!
Sharika Tucci is the managing director, lead property manager and broker at Masterkey Management Ltd. She offers her clients over a decade of real estate and property management experience spanning various property types including commercial, residential, condominium, arable, recreational and social use properties. Follow Masterkey Management on Facebook @masterkeymgt, Twitter @SharikaTucci or www.masterkey.bm.